Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Michele Wallace

Publicity for 1927 Silent Version of Uncle Tom's Cabin


http://blackandbluespeople.blogspot.com/search/label/Slavery
This is a link to my commentary on David Blight's wonderful series of lectures on the Civil War and Reconstruction in itunes university via his classroom at Yale.  We must have courses like this at the City College of New York. In the meanwhile this one is available to everyone who has a computer.

Uncle Tom's Cabin: Before and After the Jim Crow Era
This is my article on the topic particularly of Uncle Tom's Cabin on stage and in film printed in TDR in 2000. Great stuff. 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a writer and a professor of English at the City College of New York, and the CUNY Graduate Center. My books include Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman (1979), Invisibility Blues (1990), Black Popular Culture (1992), and Dark Designs and Visual Culture (2005). I write cultural criticism frequently and am currently working on a project on creativity and feminism among the women in my family, some of which is posted on the Soul Pictures blog.